We love volunteers. :) If you’d like to help out, take a look through this list and see what interests you, then send your resume (PDF or Word) to volunteers at mormonartist dot net and let us know. You can also tell us a little background on yourself, the URL to your website, and any relevant experience if you want. We’ll then send you some guidelines and instructions.
Right now our basic workflow is that we add you to email lists (a list for transcribers, a list for proofreading, etc.), and when we have needs, we send an email to the list with the information. If you have time and are interested, you email us back. (We do this instead of making direct assignments because people’s schedules vary and we don’t really know who’s interested in what.)
1. Contributors. We want to know what’s going on in the world of Mormon arts, but we only have so much we can do by ourselves. Contributors scour the web looking for people we can interview, feature article ideas, and existing content we might want to reprint (photographs, essays, whatever). You also post interesting Mormon arts stuff to the blog.
2. Interviewers. You conduct interviews (via email, over the phone using Skype or Google Voice to record the interview, or in-person using a digital recorder).
3. Copy editors. The more editing experience you have, the better. You make sure things are polished.
4. Transcribers. You listen to the MP3 of the interview and type it up. One interview generally takes two to five hours to transcribe.
5. Proofreaders. Before we send out the magazine, you proof it for errors. It’s a fairly small time commitment, depending on how fast you can proofread.
6. Photographers. You need to have a DSLR and a lens with a low f-stop (f/1.8 or f/1.4), and you probably need to be in Utah. (Or be really rich and like flying around the world on your own tab. ;))
7. Illustration. Our need for illustrations isn’t too frequent at the moment, but we’re going to be using them more often (both with the regular issues and with special issues). Send us some samples of your work if you’re interested.